Chef Lee Recipe
Sea Scallop "Sandwich" Seared Foie Gras, Sugar Snap Peas, Passion Fruit, Chives
- 8 pc’s of Diver Sea Scallops (Ask fish monger for u-10 size scallops)
- 8 pc’s of ½ size Foie Gras Nuggets
- 16 slices of White Bread (1/8 inch thick, 2 inch dia. circles)
- 1 cup Sugar Snap Peas, sliced thin
- 1 cup Passion Fruit Juice
- ½ White Wine
- 2 cup chicken stock
- 2 oz Sweet Butter
- 16 Chives Tips (the top 1 inch of the chives
- ¼ cup Chicken Jus
- *** 1 cup Chicken wings, chopped up
- *** 6 cups Chicken Stock
- *** 2 pc Shallots
- *** 1 pc Garlic
- *** 3 ea. Thyme Sprigs
- Making the Passion Fruit Sauce: Put the passion fruit, white wine, and chicken stock into a sauce pot and reduce to ½ cup liquid. Then finish the sauce with 2 oz’s of butter and reserve until serving.
- Making the Chicken Jus: Place a 3 qt sauce pot over high heat, when the pot is hot start to caramelize the chicken wings. When the wings are nice and golden, remove from the heat and degrease the pan. Return the pot to the stove and add the shallot, garlic, thyme, and chicken stock. Bring to a simmer and let reduce until half the liquid is left. Then strain and reduce to sauce consistency.
- Cooking the scallops: Season each scallop with salt and pepper and let them sit until they begin to sweat. Then apply a circle on both sides of the scallops and let sit for 1 minute. Meanwhile, heat a 12 inch non-stick pan over medium heat with 2 oz’s of cooking oil.(or clarify butter) Then add the scallops to the pan and cook until the bread is golden brown, flip and do the same on the other side. While the scallops are cooking, heat another pan and sear off the foie gras, this should take about 1 minute on each side.
- Plating: Heat the sugar snap peas in a little water until they turn bright green, remove. On 4 plates; place 2 scallops on each plate follow by the seared foie gras, passion fruit sauce, chicken jus, sugar snap peas, and garnish with chives tips.
Yields: 4 Appetizers
Portion Size: 2 Scallops pre appetizers